The York County School Division does not discriminate on the basis of race (Title VI), color, religion, national origin, sex, gender (Title IX), age or disability (Section 504) in its educational programs, activities or employment and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following positions have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Title IX Coordinator
Section 504/ADA Coordinator
Policy GB - Equal Employment Opportunity/Nondiscrimination
Policy JB - Equal Educational Opportunities/Nondiscrimination
Policy GBA/JFHA - Prohibition Against Harassment and Retaliation
Policy GB-F - Report of Discrimination
Policy GBA-F/JFHA-F - Report of Harassment
Title IX Training
The York County School Division provides training to members of the Title IX team. The team includes the Title IX Coordinator, investigators, decision-makers, individuals who serve as the appeal authority, and any person who facilitates an informal resolution process. In accordance with 34 CFR Part 106.45(b)(10) of the Title IX Final Regulations, all training materials used to train staff are available on the ATIXA website, the Virginia School Boards Association (VSBA) and the Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS). VSBA training materials are copyrighted by Sands Anderson PC. DCJS training materials are copyrighted by The Education Law Group and Holland & Knight LLP.
The purpose of the Division Hotline, 757-890-5000, is to report incidences of misconduct, such as threats, bullying, discrimination and/or harassment, to the York County School Division. It is completely anonymous. Voicemail is available 24/7 and will be checked twice daily. After the call has been received, necessary steps and precautions will be taken to ensure the safety of our students and staff.
The York County School Division permits the use of its facilities by members of the community, including the Boy Scouts of America and other designated youth groups, and the distribution of literature in accordance with division policy and regulations.
Policy KF - Distribution of Information/Materials
S. Reg. KF - Distribution of Non-Instructional Materials
Policy KG - Community Use of School Facilities
S. Reg KG - Use of School Buildings for Non-School Purpose
Internet Privacy Information
The York County School Division (YCSD) is committed to complying with the Government Data Collection and Dissemination Practice Act (formerly known as the Privacy Protection Act). The division does not collect unnecessary personal information by means of its website and shall collect only appropriate personal information to the extent necessary to serve its constituents and the community.
Personal information collected and retained by the school division’s website is maintained in compliance with the Government Data Collection and Dissemination Practices Act. The School Board informs the public of any personal information collected through its website by posting the following privacy statement or a link to this privacy statement in the Legal Notices link on the website homepage:
Internet Privacy Information
The website may contain links to or from other public or private entities' websites, whose privacy practices YCSD does not control. Be advised that we, the York County School Division, are not responsible or liable for the content, security or information of these sites. These external links are provided for your convenience.
Information collected automatically
The Division utilizes Google Analytics to analyze visitor data identified below. This information is collected only to determine the number of visitors to different sections of our sites, to ensure the sites are working properly, and to help us make our sites more useful. We do not use it to track or record information about individuals. For more information on Google Analytics and information automatically collected by Google Analytics, please visit Google Analytics Help.
- Routing, or client, information - the Internet domain and Internet address of the computer accessing the website
- Essential and non-essential technical information - type of browser and operating system being used to access the website; identification of the page or service being accessed on the website; the date and time of access; internet addresses used to link to the YCSD website
Information collected voluntarily
- Personal information - data provided voluntarily by users when completing online forms or accessing email accounts (such as email, name, email address, phone number, and the content of form/email).
Information may be kept indefinitely, but transaction routing information is typically deleted within 10 days after the web page is transmitted. However, on rare occasions, when a hacker attempts to breach computer security, logs of routing information are retained to permit a security investigation and in such cases may be forwarded together with any other relevant information in to law enforcement agencies.
Under the "Virginia Freedom of Information Act," any records in the division’s possession at the time of a "Freedom of Information Request" might be subject to being inspected by, or disclosed to, members of the public. However, all identifiable confidential/personal information will be removed prior to releasing the routing information.
Customer comments or review
If you have any questions about this privacy statement or the practices of this website, or if you choose to review or correct any information you previously submitted, please contact us at: (757) 898-0300 or through our online contact form.
Unless otherwise indicated, the materials displayed on the York County School Division (YCSD) website are the property of the division and are protected by United States and international copyright laws. This includes, but is not limited to, the compilation, selection, arrangement and presentation of all materials (including information in the public domain) and the overall design of the website.
Any visitor to the division website is hereby granted permission to access and print materials from this site for personal, non-commercial purposes only. Any other copying, distribution, modification, transmission or dissemination of the materials displayed at the division’s website by means now known or hereafter developed, is strictly prohibited without the express prior written permission of the division.
The division and school logos, wordmarks and mottos may not be used or displayed in any manner without the express prior written permission of the division. Any use of or derivative works from said image, other than the use specifically given in writing by the authorized YCSD representative, is strictly prohibited. All other trademarks or service marks that appear on the division website are the property of their respective owners.
The York County School Division social media accounts are provided for the community by the YCSD Community and Public Relations Office, the Superintendent and School Board members. Additionally, official school social media accounts may have been established by each school, or staff member. The goal is to provide timely, relevant and accurate information about the division and to share the achievements of our students and staff. Guidelines have been established to ensure effective and open conversation.
Further, while the division recognizes individual's rights to share differing opinions and viewpoints, YCSD must also protect the rights of YCSD staff and students in a respectful manner. Although YCSD does not discriminate against any views, we do reserve the right to hide and/or delete any comments of the following nature:
- Comments that may jeopardize the safety and well-being of a student or staff member. We ask all users to refrain from posting "place and time" information about our students and staff.
- Comments that threaten or defame any person or organization, or that violate privacy laws.
- Comments that are violent, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, or racist.
- Comments deemed to be spam (i.e. repeated postings of the same or similar comment) or attempts to advertise/promote organizations, businesses, services or products not affiliated with the school division.
- Comments that contain misleading or false information and fuel rumors. If you don't know it's a fact, don't post it. (An example would be the post: "I heard school will be dismissed at 11 a.m." YCSD will post school closing information as soon as a decision is made.)
- Comments from what appear to be fake accounts.
- Comments that reference specific or ongoing confidential student and/or personnel matters.
- Comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity.
- Comments that infringe on copyrights or trademarks.
- Comments not related to the original post are considered off topic. Comments to any particular post should be germane to that post. Commenters who wish to offer input on school system matters not addressed on our social media accounts are encouraged to contact the school or central office administration, as appropriate, or to sign up to offer public comment at a regular business meeting of the York County School Board.
- Comments including phone numbers, email addresses, residential addresses, or similar information.
- Comments that do not comport with reasonable standards of civility and decorum for our young audience (see below)
Civility and Decorum
Comments that do not meet reasonable standards of civility or decorum may be hidden or removed. Commenters are reminded that York County School Division social media accounts are part of a public school system website and that students - most of whom are impressionable minors - are one of its main intended audiences. Students check the YCSD social media accounts frequently for important information about school events and activities and should not be exposed to comments that are likely to cause them emotional distress or that would be inappropriate in the school environment.
The social media administrators will review all postings to make sure they do not run afoul of the rules nor of the division's Acceptable Use Policy regarding Internet access and practices. Comments posted by other users reflect those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official views of the York County School Division. Additionally, each post's comment section may be revised, turned off, or restricted as needed - in order to maintain an informative and friendly environment for the YCSD community.
Your comments are welcome at any time. However, given the need to appropriately manage all communication responsibilities, we intend to review and post comments from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. on regularly scheduled business days. We intend to review and post comments submitted at other times as soon as possible or on the next business day.
Any student or staff specific concerns should be reported directly to the division or school rather than posted as a comment. YCSD students, parents, staff, and community members have several ways to report any concern:
- tell a trusted adult
- call the YCSD Hotline at 757-890-5000
- report it online at yorkcountyschools.org/ReportIt
- report it on the YCSD App
- contact us through Let's Talk! - Ask YCSD